Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Librarian’s lunch




Golly I’m predictable. Any normal person would have gone to the park with their 2year old on a nice sunny lunch-break
Me I go to the library (YES. I DO WORK IN ONE) but not a public library.

There is an exhibition of fairy tales and fantasies for children which, (according to the library website) celebrate:
magnificent illustrations showcasing some of the world’s best illustrators
classic fairytales that children have pored and pondered over for more than a hundred years
the development of children’s fantasy literature .
On display were first editions of:


  • Beatrix Potter’s Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck (1908)
  • Lewis Carroll’s Through the looking glass, and what Alice found there (1872)
  • E.H. Shepard illustrations for A.A. Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh (1926)

There were many more beautiful books including some WICKED ASS pop up books, I walked around carrying William pointing and exclaiming in whispers. He recognised characters and stories and whispered (mostly) back to me.

On our way to the main part of the library I put William down on his feet and said “Well William I really enjoyed that, what beautiful books” he replies “they are very special”
AAAWWWWW


We then got a couple of picture books and I grabbed a lasagne and got a wee cupcake for my VERY well behaved monkey.

Penny I think you are the only Aucklander that regularly reads my blog… The exhibition finishes this weekend, if you haven’t already seen it. It’s not “BLOW YOUR MIND” awesome, but it’s still pretty cool

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay I was the one who suggested seeing that exhibition, glad to know it's worthwhile.

Penny said...

how lovely! :)

yodaobi said...

Actually penny, we were on our way to window shop downtown and there was a ranting homless guy following us down the street so we ducked into the library for santurary... A little opposite of your SM stories.

mimbles said...

*pouts* I wanna go see the pretty pictures too.

Mel said...

I love teachinig kids about the 'preciousness" of books (Mr 8's word). Good for you.